ZILLAH Four Yakima County Fire District No. 5 stations, including Sunnyside, battled an early morning fire that consumed a Zillah home Tuesday.
Firefighters were alerted to the 290 Palen Road fire at 3 a.m. and were unable to contain it before the home was completely destroyed.
The family of Jose Villafana and Melissa Gonzalez attempted to extinguish the flames prior to firefighters’ arriving, YCFD5 Deputy Chief Joel Byam said.
The blaze began in a dog house and spread to the home, he said.
The fire was raging and heavily involved when the first fire units arrived. Flames were taking over the rear portion of the home and spreading throughout the house.
A power line was downed across the roadway as a result of the fire, which made it more difficult for firefighters to gain access to the blaze, Byam said.
The flames rapidly consumed the home, deteriorating conditions as the fire spread to the second story of the home.
A transitional attack from the outside was called for to give crews a chance to move inside.
Byam said the cause of the fire is believed to be a heat lamp in the dog house for a new puppy.
The home is a total loss. Including its contents, the estimated value is $170,000.
The American Red Cross is assisting the family with clothing and short-term housing.
Byam said there were 18 firefighters from the four different YCFD5 stations battling the blaze, which was deemed under control at 4:45 a.m. and turned over to the Yakima County Fire Marshal’s Office.